I want to write this post for all incoming new University’s students (We called them freshers in UNILORIN). To be sincere with you, there are a whole lot things they don’t tell you about University’s life. I’m writing this because, I believed by the special grace of God, this is your year of admission. If you had already secured one, please accept my congratulatory message.
I decided to write this post because I was once like you when I first gained admission into Federal Polytechnic Zamfara State after my secondary school for diploma program and graduated in 2009. I again became a fresher when I got a direct entry admission into University of Ilorin. All the experience I gathered in these two institutions, put me in a better position to write this.
Are you ready to read? Ok let ride on
What Do You Need To Prepare For Your First Year In The University?
Honestly, there are whole lot of things you needed and you can’t get them all at once. Though, there are some basic things you can’t do without.
The basic ones are:
- Your Fees: This is the most important and that’s why I put it above others. You must first of all make provision for your acceptance fee, school fees, hostel fee and all other association fees that may be required to complete your registration. I have seen students in the past who bought everything excessively from home, but could not pay school fees.Read: School Fees For All Federal Universities In NigeriaRead: School Fees For All State Universities In Nigeria
- Your Credentials: O’level result, State of origin certificate, Jamb result, pre-admission screening form, pre-admission screening result and any documents you know would be required by your school for registration. You need all this and you can’t do without them. See the List Of All Credentials You Will Need HERE
- Your Daily Items: I put it this way because I don’t want this post to be extremely long. You need a traveling bag, school bag, nice dresses that you can afford, a computer, a phone, cooking equipment, books, very much food stuff, provisions and any other thing you use on a daily basis at home.These are just the three common categories of basic things I know you will need. Though, you can add more to it.
Let Talk Of Other Important Things
- Let Talk Of Other Important ThingMake Your Budget: This is the aspect many students do take for granted and they later got themselves to blame. Remember you are just going to school for the first time, a lot of expenses are awaiting you and your resources will surely not be enough to cater for them all.
Create a budgeting plan with your parents,that you can print out and pin up in your room. Identify what is coming in and going out every month for the semester. This will prevent you from coming to school and be running out of cash all time.
- Open A Bank Account:It’s always very annoying to see University’s students without an account number. Its so shameful. You should not be going up and down using your friends’ bank account to receive money all time.
Having your own account is secure. You can keep your money there and go for it whenever you needed it. See How to open a bank account on the internet within five minute.
- Learn How To Cook: So many students in university could not cook and lived on an expensive diet of calorific takeaways and ready-meals. An unhealthy diet reduces concentration levels and makes you feel sluggish. Though, am sure this will affect many guys who never stay at home to help in the kitchen.
I once had a roommate during my diploma years, he could not even prepare indomine for himself to eat. He always drink garri or starve himself whenever am not in the mood to cook. The best way to have you little resources enough for you in the University is to learn how to cook simple food. Don’t go to school and spend all your money on expensive junk food.
- Find Friends And Course Mates: Before you resume school, make use of the available social media to connect with good people who has just been offered admission like you. Chat and talk with them and make friends as reasonable as possible. When you got to school on your first day, connect with them so that you can run your movement as a fresher together. Don’t be a loner who don’t relate with people.
Though, I strongly advise not to make bad friends and don’t live a couple live in school in order not to ruin yourself from the first year.In case you want to live a couples’ live, Kindly read….How to live a couple’s live in the University and The Penalty