As a Nigerian who have a great passion for education, you strive hard and scored well in your SSCE, UTME and passed your Post UTME. Highly hoping on getting admission notification into your school of choice based on your performance and merit. Then one day, out of nowhere, first batch, second, third and last batch admission list released without your name.
SHOCKED.. STRANGED!!! DISAPPOINTING.
You were so sad, but took up another JAMB passed again and the admission is what you are currently waiting for. You started be scared of unknown. You don’t have to be. Just read on
My Serious Warning
This post is targeted one and its only meant for Universities’ applicants who applied for admission and are yet to be offered a provisional admission into their schools of choice. If you are presently at a point in time when your school has already released its first and second batch admission list and you are yet to be admitted, and you started been worried for unknown future ahead. You just need to sit back and read this post.
Why I Said So Painful and Fearful
If you are not a secondarian who just got his/her SSCE in 2016, it means you must have applied for admission in the past and could not make it. May be once or twice. It could be that you failed UTME, or failed Post UTME or passed all but could not still gain admission.
Ever since the last time you applied and could not gain admission, you spend hours every day thinking about your education in the University. You don’t have to be fearful, I’ve been in this similar situation.
After my diploma program, I applied for University’s admission several times and could not gain any. I’m now a graduate of my dreamed University in Nigeria (Better By Far). Read about my convacation in university of Ilorin Here
Dealing with University admission rejection can be tough, especially when you tried all your best and could not get any. While you might feel depressed, there are ways to cope with rejection and come out stronger than before.
How To Cope With University Admission Rejection
1) Your Situation Is Not A Curse: Not gaining admission into your University’s of choice does not mean you are cursed or whether God is no longer listening to your prayers. Don’t always assume that your inability to get admission means you are not good enough.
The simple reality is that, University admission is always competitive which makes universities turn down a good applicant due to limitations. This shouldn’t make you feel bad about yourself or sin against your God.
2) Imagine Yourself As An Athlete: When I was searching for admission, then I got to know that, University admission search in Nigeria is a tough race. It is an highly competitive race that you need to prepare yourself for. Instead of you to be sad and lose hope completely in University education because you saw someone with lower point and was admitted, just tie your bet and prepare better than ever before.
3) Don’t Put Your Eggs In One Basket: I finally found out that, what makes admission rejection more painful is the over reliance on only one school. When you applied for admission into only one University and you never tried to apply for other back up programs like pre-degree, IJMB, ND, NCE, if you are disappointed, it will be more painful.
There are lot of programs you can use as back up which will definitely put you on a saver side. For instance, applying for a State university as second choice and participate in their admission screening is a good back up plan.
4) Explore This Opportunity To Add Value To Yourself: Most times, I feel so bad when I see a University applicants, staying at home for three years without gaining admission and without learning any skills.
Staying at home doing nothing 24/7 for a year makes you bored and get you desperate to go to school. It is advisable that, when you are searching and applying for admission, it is important you learn atleast one skills. Doing this will engage you, and will never get you desperate for admission.
5) There Are Better Other Universities Around:
For God sake!!! Why would someone apply for University of Ilorin five times without trying another school? Does it makes any sense to you? What people failed to know is that, there are lot of good Universities around that will easily offer you admission with your JAMB score that has been rejected five times by a particular University.Why not trying another universities within your catchment area
when next you want to retry?