Download complete project materials on Design And Implementation Of Railway Passenger Information System Nigeria Railways Station Kaduna Terminal ( Download) from chapter one to chapter five with references
DOWNLOAD NOW.:- This JAMB CBT Practice Software Can Make You Pass 2018 UTME With Above 280. DOWNLOAD FREE
Passenger Information System (PIS) is an offline user interactive application which provides the most effective PIS solution in response to railways transportation, information and communication needs of the passenger and the railways transportation company. The system incorporates the passenger data management which enhances passenger service by providing necessary information about the passengers onboard and passengers that are booked for the next or subsequent departure. The system would also provide train cancellation and departure information to the passengers. The system would be designed and developed using Visual Basic 6.0 and Microsoft Access. The new system will replace the inefficient and unreliable manual passenger information system which is entangled by lots of problems and used by the railways station currently.
1.0 Background Of The Study
Transportation is an essential part of human activity, and in many ways form the basis of all socio-economic interactions. Indeed, no two locations will interact effectively without a viable means of movement. Rail transport is usually the most suitable mode of transportation for heavy traffic flows when speed is also an advantage because of the lower cost per person per load as the train load increases. Nigeria’s single-narrow-gauge railway line constructed in the colonial period was for many years the only mode of freight movement between the northern and southern parts of the country. Throughout the colonial era, rail transport was the most important mode of transport in terms of its infrastructural facilities, traffics, hauled and reliability as an all the year round transport system.
The colonial government in Nigeria made application for the construction of rail lines to the secretary of state for the colonial prior to 1892. As a result of the selfish colonial government interest, the colonial office in 1892 commissioned a survey to estimate the cost of railway construction in Nigeria. This was headed by William Shelfords. Although, Sir William Shelfords came up with favourable result, approval for construction did not come until 1985 when the secretary of state sanctioned the 32km, “1067 mm” gauge railway from Iddo to Otta.
Consequently, by 1896 construction of the first railway line began from Iddo (Lagos). It got to Otta and Abeokuta in 1898 and in 1901, it got to Ibadan. That year Lagos – Ibadan line was opened by 1909 the line got to Jebba and linked to Baro- Kano line (already completed in 1911) at Minna by 1915.
The Eastern line connecting Port-Harcourt to Enugu was opened in 1916, this line got to Port Harcourt in 1924 from where it was extended to Kaduna through Jos in 1927; this linking the Western and Eastern lines. Jos was linked with Zaria in 1912 by a narrow gauge line designed for the evaluation of tin from the Jos Plateau. This narrow gauge line called the Bauchi light Railway was closed in 1957. The Nigerian Railway was therefore constituted in 1912 by the amalgamation of the Lagos colony Railway and the Baro- Kano Railway.
The Maiduguri line was later opened in 1964. Apart from the two main lines branch lines were also built from Zaria to Kaura Namoda, Kano to Nguru and Ifo to Idogo. With the addition in 1`966 of a 9.6 Kilometre branch line from Alesa Eleme Oil refinery to Elelenwa in the Port-Harcourt to Enugu line, Nigerian railway has a total of 3505 kilometres of single- track, metre gauge Railway connecting the two principal seaports, Lagos and Port-Harcourt, with the major urban centres in the interior.
At the onset, the railway was known as the Nigerian government railway and run as a department of the Federal Government. However, in 1952, the Government announced its intention to establish the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) as an autonomous body to take over the duties and functions of the railway department. This did not come through until 1955 when the Nigerian Railway Act was passed. The Act set up the NRC, as a statutory Corporation entirely owned by the Federal Government. The act assigned the following function to NRC.
- To manage and operate the Railway and provide reasonable facilities for the carriage of passengers and goods
- To control railway Expenditure
- To ensure that as far as it is possible, annual revenue are sufficient to meet all expenditure properly chargeable to revenue.
- To direct and control expansion and extension of the railway system.
The railways transportation system has been playing a major role in the transportation industry across the globe considering the facts weather there are other means of transportation or not. The Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) is the oldest government corporation in Nigeria. It was the first largest employer of labour then even perhaps more than the civil service.
It offered the cheapest and most efficient means of transportation. It is environmentally friendly and recorded few accidents in history. It is one important source of unification of Nigeria and up till now the symbol of unity. Nigerian ports Authority (NPA) grew out of NRC’s Marine Department and NPA until 1982 was a department under NRC even NEPA, Post Office and telecommunication grew out of it. It is based on these facts that I now want to design and develop software that would automate the Nigeria Railways Cooperation Passengers Information System (Passenger Data Management) and train service prices and schedule at the Kaduna Railway terminal.
1.2 Purpose Of The Study
This research has dual purposes; it is intended to automate the manual ways of managing the Nigeria Railways Cooperation passenger data management at the Kaduna railways terminal. It also involves the notification of passengers train schedules and service prices to the interested passengers concern.
The methodology applied for gathering data and information used for the conduct of this research were combination of primary and secondary sources, such as the internet, articles, seminar papers, textbooks, academic journals and interview from resource persons. The automated railways passenger information system will be design and developed using Visual Basic 6.0 because of its flexibility, database capability, Graphical User Interactive features and powerful application development tools, moreover, Visual Basic is an object oriented programming language
1.4 Scope Of The Project
This research attempts to incorporate the automation of the passenger data management which enhances passenger service by providing necessary information about the passengers onboard and booked passengers for the subsequent departure. The system would also provide train cancellation and departure information to the passengers as well as the Nigerian railway train Service prices and schedule.
1.5 Expected Contribution to Knowledge
This aspect of the research describes the benefits that would be derived from the automated railways passenger information system when it is fully developed and implemented. The following are some of the benefits.
- It will provide proper identification of passengers for safety and security reasons
- It will provide suitable train passengers data management
- It will provide reliable information on train service prices and schedule for passengers.
- It will provide a better means of managing and tracking passenger records and status.
- It will enhance communication between the passengers and train operators while promoting good practices.
- It will serve as measuring tool for viewing progress or lack of progress in the activities of the Nigeria Railway Cooperation services
1.6 Definition of Terms
- Train: A train is a form of rail transport consisting of a series of vehicles that usually runs along a rail track to transport cargo or passengers. Motive power is provided by a separate locomotive or individual motors in self-propelled multiple units. Although historically steam propulsion dominated, the most common modern forms are diesel and electric locomotives, the latter supplied by overhead wires or additional rails.
Other energy sources include horses, engine or water-driven rope or wire winch, gravity, pneumatics, batteries, and gas turbines. Train tracks usually consist of two running rails, sometimes supplemented by additional rails such as electric conducting rails and rack rails, with a limited number of monorails and maglev guideways in the mix.
- System: A set of connected things that form a complete whole or work together.
- Data: Information, often in the form of facts or figures obtained from experiments or survey, used as a basis for making calculations or drawing conclusions.
- Information: Definite knowledge acquired or supplied about something or somebody.
5.Management: The act of controlling, managing, planning, directing, coordinating and handling something or people successfully.
- Schedule: A list of the times of arrivals and departures in a train or buses.
- Arrival: The reaching of a place after coming from another place.
- Departure: The action of setting off on a journey.
- Freight: Goods or cargo carried by a means of commercial transportation
- SEE >> HOW TO DOWNLOAD THE COMPLETE PROJECT (CHAPTER 1-5) NOW
PASS 2018 UTME WITH 280+ .:- DOWNLOAD the JAMB CBT Software Used By SAMUEL Last Year to Score 298 in UTME HERE
ADS: WISH TO STUDY ABROAD?:- STUDY, WORK AND LIVE IN UK or USA in 2018, FILL Application Form HERE NOW
TIRED OF JAMB?: Gain Admission To 200Level Without Jamb-UTME Through IJMB or JUPEB Program, Any University, Any Course. Forms Now On Sale.08027204345, 08032494303