1.1 Background of the Study
Airplane reservation systems were first introduced in the late 1950s as relatively simple standalone systems to control flight inventory, maintain flight schedules, seat assignments and aircraft loading. The modern Airplane reservation system is comprehensive suite of products to provide a system that assists with a variety of Airplane management tasks and services customer needs from the time of initial reservation through completion of the flight.
Airplane Reservations Systems contain Airplane schedules, fare tariffs, passenger reservations and ticket records. An Airplane’s direct distribution works within their own reservation system, as well as pushing out information to the GDS (Global Distribution System). Second types of direct distribution channel are consumers who use the internet or mobile applications to make their own reservations. Travel agencies and other indirect distribution channels access the same GDS (Global Distribution System) as those accessed by the Airplane s' reservation systems, and all messaging is transmitted by a standardized messaging system that functions primarily on messaging called SITA (State Information Technology Agency). Since Airplane reservation systems are business critical applications, and their functionally quite complex, the operation of an in-house Airplane reservation system is relatively expensive.
Prior to deregulation, Airplane s owned their own reservation systems with travel agents subscribing to them. Today, the GDS (Global Distribution System) are run by independent companies with Airplane s and travel agencies as major subscribers.
However, one of the most common modes of travel is traveling by air. Customers who wish to travel by air nowadays have a wide variety of Airplane s and a range of timings to choose from. Nowadays competition is so fierce between Airplane s that there are lot of discounts and a lot of luxuries given to customers that will give an edge to that particular Airplane.
The World Wide Web has become tremendously popular over the last four years, and currently most of the Airplane have made provision for online reservation of their flights. The Internet has become a major resource for people looking for making reservations online without the hassle of meeting travel agents. My Project intends to serve these purposes. It intends to check all the available Airplane databases and return a string of results, which can help them in their travel plans. The objective of this project is to create an Airplane reservation system where a traveler can request all flight information as per their journey dates.
They can get information regarding time, cost, etc all at the same time and place. When the customer calls the Counter Assistant for his/her travel needs, the counter assistant will enter the customer’s details (flight requirements) in the system. The system displays all the available Airplane s, schedules and prices. This system would help the Airplane to better serve its customers by catering to their needs. The site would use a Database to hold this information as well as the latest pricing and availability information for the Airplanes.
- 1.2 Motivation
Delay in Airplane reservation system has since been a re-occurring event in the aviation industry in the society. It makes the need for automated computerized Airplane reservation a necessity. Therefore, the automated computerized Airplane reservation system project is an attempt to simulate the basic concepts of Airplane reservation system i.e. delay in booking of ticket will be reduce since all the information are computerized, flight detail could be easily booked form anywhere (at home, hotel, school etc), could also be book from one country to another (Nigeria to America) and also customer will be able to view flight detail like arrival time, delay flight among others.
- 1.3 Purpose of the Study
The purpose of the study includes:
• To design and develop a software system that will make it possible to book flight online.
• To minimize repetitive work done by the system administrator and reservation clerks.
• To assist an Airplane with transactions related to making ticket reservations, which includes blocking, reserving, canceling and rescheduling tickets.
• Reduce effort and frustration for travelers in scheduling a trip, especially by reducing the search effort for the flight they need to take.
• Protect customers’ privacy concerns.
• Make it easy for travelers to check the ticket status or make changes to their trip.
This project work was carried out through proper research, it was carried out in such a way that facts/information concerning the existing system are gathered, standard analyzed, and a solution is provided. Methods used in collecting the data are; interview, the internet, textbooks, and direct observation from people. These methods used provide reliable information of required knowledge of this research and proper guidance. All methodologies are derived from a logical problem solving process that is sometimes called a system development life cycle. Database management application was used to carry out data storage while object oriented programming (vb6.0) was used to carry out the programming and computation.
1.5 Scope of the Research
This project is only concerned with developing an Airplane reservation system to ease the reservation department by providing a high performance easy use web based booking system that can be operated both locally and remotely in a cost effective way. This project covers only reservation of seat.
- 1.6 Expected Contribution To Knowledge
This project is focused on developing and implementing computerized distributed flight ticket booking system. Distributed database system is essential to fight ticket booking. Henceforth, this project will let the student in concerned to put what he has being taught theoretically in to the real world solution to problems.
- 1.6.1 Definition Of Term
- Airplane: Simply means aircraft, airplane etc.
- Reservation: It can be define as the process of booking or reserving seat in an Airplane.
- System: It has to do with the parts or components that come together to perform a common function.
- GDS: This is an acronym of global distribution system.
- FAAN: Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria
- IATA: International Air Transport Association
- ICAO: International Civil Aviation Organization.
- Black Box: Black box in computer science is a unit whose internal structure is unknown but whose function is documented.
- Back Box Testing: Back box testing is where the tester is presented with the specification of a component to be tested and uses this to derive the test cases. This has the advantage that the tester need no information about the code used in the component and need not understand its internal structure. This is also the disadvantage of the code can aid in devising tests which will thoroughly exercise the program.
- MIS: Management information system is the system the stores and retrieves information and data, process them, and present them to the management as information to be used in making decision.
- MCS: management control system is a form of information system used by the management of an organization to analyze each application of information systems in terms of input storage processing and output.
- Database: a systematically arranged collection of computer
data, structured so that it can be automatically retrieved or manipulated. It
is also called databank.