When it comes to gaining admission into any Nigerian University, there are lot of things attached and until when Nigerian students started to pay attention to those things before they stop to suffer for admission.
I will never be surprise to see any applicant who scored 320 in UTME, and high score in school screening and yet could not gain admission. Though its painful, but so many applicants don’t pay attention to what they should while pursuing admission into higher institutions.
NUC Admission Policy Through JAMB
Universities do not just offer admission to applicants, they have guidelines to follow. The guideline with regards to geographical location is below:
- Merit 45%
- Catchment Areas 35%
- Educationally Less Privilege Areas 20%
Merit: Means you really do well in your O’ level, UTME and admission screening. Your chances of gaining admission is 45% all things been equal.
Catchments Areas: The catchment area is the locality which in most cases is the geographical or socio-cultural area contiguous to the institution. The Federal government under NUC stipulates that 35% of admitted students should be selected based on catchment area.
That means if you apply to university from your catchment area, you have 35% chance of admission, if you do well in UTME, O’level and admission screening execise it becomes 80% (i.e 45% Merit + 35% Catchments).
Educationally Less Privilege State (ELPS):
These are States in which they are educationally less privileged. Adamawa, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Benue, Borno, Cross-River, Ebonyi, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Kastina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara.
If you come from any of these States and you passed your JAMB. Your chances of gaining admission is 65% (45% Merit + 20% ELPS). All Things Been equal.
Applicants From Catchment Areas Are Favored In This Regards
Though you might not be aware, but usually, the admission screening cut off for applicants from catchments area may be lower than that of those from far. So the numbers of applicants given admission is always higher.
That’s why, your friend Taiye who scored more than you in UTME and admission screening may not get admission while you got. Its because you are from catchment area or educationally less developed State.
List of Nigerian Universities and Their Catchments Areas
- University of Jos (UNIJOS): Plateau, Benue, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger
- University of Benin (UNIBEN): Edo, Akwa-Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Delta, Rivers
- University of Calabar (UNICAL): Cross-Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Rivers,
- University of Lagos (UNILAG): Lagos, Ekiti,, Osun, Oyo, Ondo, Ogun
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN): Kwara, Benue, Kebbi, Kogi, Nasarawa, Plareau, Sokoto, Zamfara
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID): Borno Adamawa, Borno. Bauchi, Gombe, Taraba, Yobe
- University of Uyo (UNIUYO): Akwa-Ibom Akwa-Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Delta, Edo, Rivers
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK): Anambra, Abia, Anambra, Enugu, Ebonyi, Imo
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria: Kaduna Adamawa , Bauchi, Benue, Borno, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Gombe, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Katsina, Niger, Plateau, Sokoto, Nasarawa, Yobe, Zamfara, Taraba
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University (ATBU): Bauchi Adamawa, Bauchi, Benue, Borno, Gombe, Taraba, Yobe
- Bayero University Kano (BUK): Kano, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara
- Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA): Ondo, Ekiti, Lagos, Osun, Oyo, Ondo
- Federal University of Technology, Minna (FUTMinna): Minna Niger, Benue, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger, Plateau, Sokoto, Zamfara
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO): Imo, Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Rivers, Enugu
- Federal University of Technology, Yola: Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Taraba, Yobe
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Ife: Osun, Ekiti, Lagos, Osun, Oyo, Ondo
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto (UDUSOK): Sokoto Jigawa, Kwara, Kebbi,
Katsina, Kano, Kano, Kaduna, Nasarawa, Niger, Sokoto, Zamfara
- University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN): Enugu Abia, Anambra, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Enugu, Imo, Rivers
Nigerian Universities Without Catchment Area:
These are Universities I called NO MAN’S LAND
- University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike (MOUAU)
- Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM)
For better chances of been offered admission into any Nigerian University, its strongly advisable you applied for universities withing your catchment area. Though, you can still gain admission into universities outside your catchment area, but that would be based on merit. Yes merit.
You have to work for it.
Now tell me, is your University of choice your catchment area? Or you are from educationally less developed States?
All The best.